Digital media time in the U.S. continues to increase – growing more than 50 percent in the past three years, with nearly 90 percent of that growth directly attributable to the mobile app. Mobile has grown so fast that it’s now the leading digital platform, with total activity on smartphones and tablets accounting for two-thirds of digital media time spent, and smartphone apps alone now capturing roughly half of digital media time.
Why have apps become such a powerful force in our daily media lives? The power of habit. The 2016 U.S. Mobile App Report explores the dynamics of mobile media consumption, audiences, and user habits to understand what’s behind this surge in mobile activity, and how publishers and advertisers can take advantage.
Some key topics covered in the report include:
- The implications of smartphone apps’ growing share of digital media usage time
- The dynamic between mobile web’s critical role in expanding audience reach and the app’s role in high user engagement
- The value of the smartphone home screen, how users interact with it, and other consumer habits on mobile
- Demographic and behavioral profiling of the app users, including heavy app downloaders
- Deep dives into some of the largest and fastest growing apps, including Facebook, Snapchat and Pokémon GO
- The top apps among Millennials, and this group’s influence in all facets of app behavior